Friday 4 January 2013

Dolly Dingle paper dolls

As a child I loved paper dolls. I remember my Mum spending hours cutting out the outfits, trying hard not to snip off the tabs that held the clothes on, not always with complete success.....
My new Dottie Doodles brooches have been influenced by the paper dolls created by Grace G Drayton.

I love the style of her illustrations, which capture beautifully the 1920's and 1930's children's fashions. The Chubby faces, and wide eyes are in the same style as some of my paperclay brooches.
Cutie, Ruby and George
I've been lucky enough to source a few of the original Grace G Drayton paper dolls, which were published between 1913 and 1933 in Pictorial Review.
 
 
Bud July 1930 
 
Nanny October 1929
 
 Each character has several outfits, and quite often a little dolly or animal friend with them. The costumes are gorgeous, right to down to the shoes and undies.
 
There are outfits for every occasion, and from countries all around the World. Dolly Dingle even gets an aviator costume, inspired by Amelia Earhart.
 
Bud has a riding outfit, a dapper blazer and a sailor suit. Whilst Nanny has a bridesmaid dress, part dress and a great romper for play.
 
Keep an eye out for more Dolly Dingle characters soon.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment